Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sask Player Spotlight - TANNER GILLIES

To get to know a bit more about the hockey talent that comes out of Saskatchewan, we had an opportunity to chat with former WHL forward Tanner Gillies, from Moose Jaw, SK about his experience playing in the Dub. I know he may be a Leafs' fan, but try not to hate him for it.





PrairiePuck: "Alright first question: Who are you and what team(s) did you play your junior
hockey with?"

Tanner: "I am Tanner Gillies, 6'3, 210 lbs (when I played), Drafted by the Moose
Jaw Warriors 40th overall in 2002 entry draft. I was traded to the Red
Deer Rebels and played in the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 seasons, and was
then traded to the Tri-City Americans where I played the 2006-2007
season."

PrairiePuck: "That's quite the resumé. In all of your hockey career, who was the best coach
you've ever had?"


Tanner: "Well I liked both Brent Sutter and Don Nachbaur for different reasons. I
probably responded better to Don because although he was intense, he
wasn't as instense as Brent. I learned a lot from Brent, but I would say Don
if I had to choose."

PrairiePuck: "As an avid Maple Leafs fan (I assume you still are), what do the Leafs have a
better chance at this year, A) Playoffs
B) Drafting John Tavares 1st Overall?"


Tanner: "Hahaha. I know it's an exhibition game, but right now they are getting
stroked by the Blues 5-1, so I think they are going to do neither. They will
try to make the playoffs, but end up right in the middle of playoffs and
John Tavares."

PrairiePuck: "Nobody said you were a realist, Tanner."

Tanner: "Hahaha"

PrairiePuck: "You've had the pleasure of playing on the same teams as NHL stars such as Dion
Phaneuf and Carey Price. How does it feel seeing old teammates doing so well on
the big stage?"

Tanner: "It's awesome to see them doing well. Every time I check game summaries
on the net, they are the first people I check for. I love to see Price do well,
probably because I got to know him better. It's cool to see them on TV and
you know you've played with them"

PrairiePuck:
"Something to tell the kids I'm sure. This next one is a two part question. You had the pleasure of playing in Tri-City with one of Regina's own Boogaard boys, Aaron.
A)--Is his moustache for real?
B)--How long before he makes a splash with Pittsburgh? "

Tanner: "Hahahaha. The stache is 100% for real. He is the guy I have probably
kept in touch with most, going drinking with him and hang out together
while he is in Regina during the off season. I'm plannin on going to
Pittsburgh to stay with him for a week to hang out with Sidney Crosby and
Evgeni Malkin. So I'm thinking he will get called up for a few games this
year and I'm hoping he will stick there within the next 3 years. He told me
he got in a bunch of tilts at Camp and did really well in those and all of the
scouts said they were very impressed with him. So it depends on how
Godard does or how long he's there."

PrairiePuck:
"I'm sure with the loss of Georges Laraque, they'll need someone like Aaron to take care of Sid the Kid. Between Aaron and big brother Derek, who wins in a fight? "

Tanner: "Well Derek has the height and weight advantage, but I know Aaron also
has lots of experience and I know he has tons of heart. So I don't know how
many fights Aaron would win against Derek, but there is no way he would
ever back down if challenged."

PrairiePuck: "Well put. Let's end off with a little word association."

Tanner: "Haha ok."

PrairiePuck: "Your first WHL goal:"

Tanner: "Haha it was late February 2005 in Vancouver. The game was on Sportsnet
so I got my first goal on National TV haha. But it was way too late in the
season for my liking."

PrairiePuck: "Your first WHL fight:"

Tanner: "Not sure of the date, but it was against Matt Kassian, who was voted the
toughest guy in the West for 2 years when he was in the WHL. He's now the
Minnesota farm team tough guy."

PrairiePuck: "Win or Loss?"

Tanner: "Haha I may have got my gloves off early and got him with a few, but then
seatbelted when I realized who I grabbed."

PrairiePuck: "Hahaha fair enough." Brent Sutter: "

Tanner: "Perfectionist...or intense"

PrairiePuck: "The Kipling Royals"

Tanner: "Oh man...entertaining...for an 11 year old"

PrairiePuck: "To say the least....How about playing hockey in a state not known for hockey?"

Tanner: "Interesting. They don't know much about the rules, but cheer just as hard
if not harder than Canadian fans."

PrairiePuck: "Wow, I wouldn't have guessed."

Tanner: "It's crazy. In Everett's first year as a team, the fans didn't know anything.
They would go absolutely nuts if they iced the puck or if the other team
went offside. They just cheer about everything."

PrairiePuck: "Hahaha...sounds about right....Ok a few more here. Chet Pickard: "

Tanner: "Work horse. When I was there, he didn't get in the lineup a lot, but
worked hard in practice and in the weightroom, taking as much advice in
as he could from Carey to get better."

PrairiePuck: "How long before he dons a Predators uniform?"

Tanner: "That's tough for me to say. When I was there, he wasn't in much and I
never got to see him play at all last year, but judging by his record, he will
be in a Preds uni, but not quite sure when. He might have to put some time
in the AHL."

PrairiePuck: "Fair enough. Stanley Cup Champs in 2009? (And don't say the Leafs)"

Tanner: "Hahaha. The Pens. They are a year older, lost Hossa, but I still think they
will make some noise."

PrairiePuck: "I agree. Their entire division will be tough though."

Tanner: "Exactly"

PrairiePuck: "One final question. Your WHL experience in one word:"

Tanner: "Memorable. Wouldn't change a thing, except not making the NHL and
all."

PrairiePuck: "That's 12 words, but thanks anyways."





T-O-P

No comments: